About Us - Jackson Barrett & Gass
Jackson Barrett & Gass is believed to have been formed in 1914. The original members previously practised under a different name, from the original office on Wellington Road South, Stockport.
James (Jimmy) Gass served in the Royal Flying Corps, World War I and was demobilised in 1918, aged 19 years. He joined the firm of solicitors, run by Mr Jackson, who was a friend and joined the establishment as an unqualified clerk. He became interested in the profession and with Mr Jackson’s encouragement he undertook studying for his law degree, which he passed in July 1931
Mr Barrett was also a partner in the firm & Jimmy was made a partner in around 1935. The Wilmslow office opened around the same time & Eddie Crossland joined the firm at this stage. The Wilmslow office only opened for appointments on Fridays.
Having started to do his articles at Jackson Barrett & Gass, Peter Gass was called up to his R.A.F. national service in February 1952. Completing his National Service, he returned to Jackson Barrett & Gass. Peter completed his articles and was elected to the Law Society in 1956 & was made a Partner in 1959.
Jimmy Gass died in 1963 after a long illness and it was then that Eddie Crossland took over the Stockport office, and Peter the Wilmslow office. It was during this time that Peter Gass transferred the firm to 20a Grove Street, where the firm remained until 2003. Peter Gass took on more staff, including Roger Bamforth & Rob Saunders.
There was a police station and court in Wilmslow, where Peter regularly carried our court work, as well in Knutsford and occasionally in Chester.
Current Director, Sean Barrow, joined the firm in July 1979 & went into partnership with Peter Gass two years later. Peter Gass retired in 1987 & Sean remained a Sole Practitioner apart from a brief period in partnership.
The firm then moved to its current location at Smithy Annexe on St. Patricks Day 2003. Originally, seen as a bold move, the firm has enjoyed a more prominent & accessible address for staff & clients alike ever since.
The firm has received various accolades from the Law Society in recent years, which includes becoming the first law firm in Cheshire to win a Law Society Excellence Award.
Jackson Barrett & Gass was then incorporated into a Limited Company in 2010 & an Alternative Business Structure in 2015.
As a business, Jackson Barrett & Gass have remained loyal to its roots with the involvement of family members & a focus on the local community. However, the company has grown into a modern, award winning company who are proud of their staff, & the service they offer, in equal measures.